Sunday 24 August 2014

The Law of Sin at Work in us


The Law of Sin at Work in us
As their descendants we inherit this law of sin and death, and it is experienced in many ways. One of which is through the contrary impulses that work inside of us. The whole context of Romans chapter seven deals with this experience and is well worth reading carefully.

Rom.7:14-24. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?

When reading these words we are not reading the experiences of a uniquely conflicted individual, but the shared experiences of all those who are aware and sensitive to the things of God. When a person sets their heart to seek and know God, and do his will, he or she will find this internal conflict at work. Why is this so? It is because our natural instincts are set for self-preservation and self-advancement, whereas God’s ways are often not to our personal short term advantage.

This is the conflict that knowledge of the truth of God brings. It is seen graphically in the basic layout depicted in Diagram 2 when our beliefs begin to align with God’s will. The human/animal instinct for survival is very strong, and our instinctive urges and impulses are at times very domineering. Sin occurs when these impulses and desires are contrary to God’s will and we accede to them in thoughts, words or actions. These responses are natural, and are simply the manifestations of sin in action.

Sin is defined by its basic meaning in the reference shown above from Rom.3:23. The word ‘sin’ quite literally means ‘to miss the mark’ and in its scriptural usage it carries the idea of falling short of God’s intended purpose with man – i.e. that we should think and behave as God would have us think and behave – ‘being in His image and likeness’ (Gen.1:26). Interestingly, the word ‘sin’ is used in two principle ways. The most common of which is as a verb that relates to ‘behaviour or actions’, as in a person engaged in an act of sin. The second way the word ‘sin’ is used is as a noun, where it refers figuratively to the human condition, and particularly to the ‘law of sin’ that exists in each of us, and which produces all manner of lust, desires and rebellion against God, and His declared moral principles (Rom.6:10-12, 7:17, 20-25).
The Law of Moses was given to fully reveal the true nature of the human condition. This is the point that Paul makes about the Law in Rom.7:11-13.  “Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not!  But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.”

The human condition is fully affected by this condition. The Law of Sin pervades every part of us. The reality of this is summed up in the Law by the tenth commandment, which said “You shall not covet”. To covet is to feel strong desire towards something that does not belong to you. It is one of the most common of all the human characteristics and it is completely natural to us. Yet this tenth commandment of the Law makes us aware of Gods thinking and our natural condition, which causes a reaction in us. “But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire” (Rom.7:7-8).
Paul’s example in Romans chapter seven is that of an enlightened man. Another example of this conflict is seen in Jesus himself. Although a man who never sinned, he nevertheless experienced the same fears, passions and impulses that are common to us all. He was tempted in all points like we are (Heb.4:15, Phil.2:8, Heb.2:10, Heb.5:9). We can see this particularly and graphically when we consider Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane. This is the night of his betrayal by Judas, at a time when he knew he would shortly face a most humiliating and horrifying torment, torture and death. Jesus felt the pressure of the situation as well as the enormous burden of responsibility that was resting upon him. In prayer to his Father in heaven he said the following.

Matt.26:39. Then He (Jesus) said to them (his apostles), “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me”. He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.”
Part of the pressure that he felt came from his natural or instinctive impulses which he shared in common with all humanity. These instincts were asserting themselves, and yet they were at war with what he knew was His Father’s will. He knew what was to shortly come to pass in all the pain of the crucifixion. The natural human instinct is to protect and preserve the flesh and its life, whereas it was His Father’s will that he should die this way in order to accomplish this essential part of God’s plan for the redemption of mankind and the completion of God purpose. We are told these things in many places in the Bible, but a quick review of (Act.2:23) will show this.

In considering these things, we need to continually remind ourselves that only God is able to provide the solution to the human condition. Even Jesus himself sought and received God’s help in this most dire of situations (Luke.22:42-43, Heb.5:7). The obvious lesson is that only God is able to deal with this ‘law of sin and death’ that exists in each of us.

Humans have been developing philosophies and religions since the beginning of human existence as remedies for the human condition, yet none of these have any power. They are all just the outcome of human rationale that seeks for a human solution based on humanistic philosophy. Only God can provide the solution for the problem of sin and mortality. God’s solution has been revealed and demonstrated in the offering up of His Son Jesus Christ upon the cross. For this man Jesus was the one typified in all the sacrifices and offerings made since the beginning, including those seen in the Law of Moses (Heb.10:1-14). For they were all offered as types and patterns in prospect of his ‘once for all time’ sacrifice upon the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment